Close this search box.

The Difference Between Powers of Attorney and Guardianship

Print Article

JULY 18, 2011 VOLUME 18 NUMBER 26
“Elder law” (what we practice here at Fleming & Curti, PLC) can be a fairly broad practice area. We work in estate planning, long-term care planning, guardianship and conservatorship, trust administration and probate — and each of those areas encompasses a number of other topics as well. But some variation of the question below is one of the most common questions potential new clients ask us. We want to take a moment to explain the difference between two poorly-understood legal concepts: powers of attorney and guardianship/conservatorship.

Here’s the question, distilled to its essence: We had to put dad into a nursing home. The staff there are telling us we need to get a power of attorney. Can you prepare a power of attorney for us?

Seems like a simple enough question. A power of attorney is, after all, a fairly straightforward document. You can download a form from the internet, and many seniors have already signed one. Turns out that the question is usually much harder to answer than it appears, however.

Different kinds of powers of attorney

The first issue: there are different kinds of documents that are all called “powers of attorney.” As if that wasn’t confusing enough, some states (and some practitioners) use different terms — “health care proxy,” or “patient advocate designation,” or “durable power of attorney,” for example — for what are essentially the same things.

In general terms, there are two well-recognized kinds of power-of-attorney document. One kind designates some one else who can make decisions about the signer’s health care — medical authorization, placement decisions and the like. The other names some one to handle financial matters — check signing, sale of property, transfers of assets into a living trust, even gift-giving (in some cases).

When the nursing home tells you that you need a power of attorney for your recently-admitted father, they are probably most concerned about the health care power of attorney. They want someone to be able to approve medications and treatments, to make decisions about hospitalization (or declining hospitalization) and to notify about your father’s condition and progress. They may also be interested in making sure you have power to handle his finances, especially to pay his nursing home bills — but that may not be their primary focus.

Distinguish guardianship and conservatorship

Contrast the power of attorney with the guardianship/conservatorship process. If you have to secure a guardianship or conservatorship with regard to your father, that means you will have to file a court proceeding and go through a number of mandated procedures.

You will probably be hiring a lawyer to represent you; in Arizona, a lawyer will certainly be appointed to represent your father (unless he already has his own lawyer). There will also be a medical report, and a court investigator. A process server will have to physically hand (or read) the court papers to your father. A hearing will be held at the courthouse. Once you are appointed, you will have annual reports to file with the court. If you have been appointed as conservator, you will also have to file a “surety bond” — an insurance company’s guarantee that your father’s estate will be made whole in the event that you misspend his money or otherwise behave inappropriately.

Wait — what’s the difference between guardianship and conservatorship (you ask)?

It’s a good question. Be careful about generalizing here — different states use different versions of these terms to mean different things (and sometimes they have the opposite meaning in other states). But in Arizona, guardianship is the court process to secure control over an incapacitated person’s health care and placement decisions. Conservatorship is the court process to secure control over the finances of a person who needs protection.

Roughly speaking, a guardian (in Arizona) has the same kind of authority that a health care agent might have. Meanwhile, an Arizona conservator has the same kind of powers and responsibilities that an agent under a financial power of attorney might be given.

So which do I want — power of attorney or guardianship/conservatorship?

It’s not really which one you want so much as which one you can get. A power of attorney requires a competent signer, willing to give the power (health, financial or both) to you. A guardianship or conservatorship requires the court to find that your father is not able to make his own decisions — in essence, not able to sign his own power of attorney. So our first question to you will be: what does his doctor say about his competence? What do you think: will he understand the nature of a power of attorney, and be willing to give you that authority?

If your father is already too far into the dementia process to sign a power of attorney, you may have no choice but to seek guardianship and/or conservatorship. If he is mentally pretty alert, and able to understand (and explain) the reasons why he might sign a power of attorney, it might well be appropriate to talk with him about that choice.

What are the relative costs?

Once again, it is hard to generalize. Getting your father to talk with a lawyer, discuss powers of attorney (and, probably, estate planning generally) and getting him to sign after he has agreed to the documents should probably cost a few hundred dollars — more, if it takes multiple meetings, he has unusual estate issues or wishes, or there is family discord to deal with. Guardianship and/or conservatorship will probably cost ten times as much, and assure continuing legal involvement as future accountings and reports have to be prepared and filed.

OK — I think dad will understand the power of attorney and be willing to sign it. Can you please come to the nursing home with one and get him to sign?

Would that it were that easy. A good lawyer will want to meet with your father more than once. While many make home (or nursing home) visits, they will probably charge more. And a key element of representation of your father requires that he be the client — that may mean that after we have talked about his situation extensively, we are uncomfortable being the ones who prepare his documents.

In that case, we are likely to refer him to another lawyer. We will probably suggest one geographically close to him, and give you some advice about how to make the initial contact. Basically, we want to make sure that (even if you make the call and set up the appointment) there is no question in your father’s mind that his lawyer is in fact his lawyer. You may be absolutely certain that you and he are on the same page — but we sometimes see situations where that turns out not to be the case, and we all want to make sure his wishes are paramount.

Do I really have to do any of this?

You might not, actually. In Arizona (this is not true in every state) there is a mechanism for family members to make health care decisions for someone who never got around to signing a health care power of attorney. There is a priority checklist (starting with spouses and working through family friends) for who can make decisions. One limitation: the person named in the checklist can not make a decision to withhold or withdraw life-sustaining artificially-provided food and fluids.

There is no similar mechanism for financial decisions. If your father has only his name on his bank accounts (or brokerage accounts, car title or deed to his house) then it will require either a power of attorney or a conservatorship to get authority to liquidate assets, pay bills or even request annual minimum distributions from his IRA. Quick — go look to see if he didn’t sign a power of attorney years ago.

This is all so complicated. Can’t I just get the power of attorney form, fill it out and get him to sign it?

Yes, and it will probably work just fine. If it doesn’t, you could look like you were trying to take advantage of him. If someone later decides your form is inadequate, or not properly signed, or has some other defect, you might not find out about it until after he is clearly incapacitated and unable to sign a new power of attorney. But candidly, those are not the most likely outcomes. What we offer is professional counsel, answers to complicated and personal questions, and peace of mind. We’re pretty comfortable that our services are worth what we charge.

We hope that helps. Good luck with your father, whether we see you or not. We know that this is a difficult time, filled with anxiety and unexpected challenges. There are also a number of rewards along the way, but no one should minimize the work you have undertaken.

Oh, by the way — if it’s your mother, your aunt, your son or your sister you are caring for, the answers are mostly the same.

6 Responses

  1. Does POA give the right to restrict a person’s visitors? I would think to restrict visitors, something stronger, like a guardianship would be required. Say, if I had my mother’s POA and she is in a personal care home, can I tell the staff that certain people cannot visit my mother?

    1. Linda:

      You raise a good question, without a clear answer. There is likely to be state-to-state variation, and there might even be different interpretations at different facilities in the same state or region. Generally speaking, though, I think you would have a hard time enforcing a visitor ban in many circumstances without a court order or some other compelling authority.

      Of course I know nothing about your mother’s situation (and that’s not an invitation for you to share details), but I would caution anyone considering a ban on visitors that it may not be the best approach. The law, the facility and common notions of autonomy all argue in favor of more, rather than less, openness. That said, there are certainly circumstances (though rare) where banning dangerous, disruptive or countertherapeutic visitors might be appropriate.

      Robert B. Fleming
      Fleming & Curti, PLC
      Tucson, Arizona

  2. I’m greatly disturbed that a friend appears to be socially, emotionally, and financially abused by his daughter who is reported by him to strictly limit his rehabilitation from hip surgery, his ability to make or receive phone calls, his access to legal counsel or his financial resources, etc. etc.
    I am limited guardian/conservator for my out-of-state stepson, so am familiar with the legal basics. Through a deal of stealth, I was able to meet with him today, having missed him at church several weeks, and am overwhelmed at his despair over being so treated (but briefly described above) by his daughter. He is blind, but very smart and articulate for 92. He desperately wants to meet with an attorney, but fears the consequences if daughter learns of his wish for help to ameliorate the circumstances she has imposed on him Hopefully this comment will find its way to a suggestion from someone with credentials, experience, and a heart. My ONLY motive is to help find some relief for this- very deserving individual.

    1. Oliver:

      Contact Arizona’s Adult Protective Services (877-SOS-ADULT) and/or help your friend make and keep an appointment with an attorney in your community. Good luck to both of you.

  3. Can POA stop calls & vists? My Father is in a assistant living center. His Sister & another family member whom he has not spoken to for over 15 years by his choice have found out where he is located. Their calls are upsetting him. He will call me very upset. He has memory issuers and does not remember them. Their calls & visits are causing stress for him. They were asked to leave the center he lives due to their actions. I just want to protect him from harmful people who are up to know good. They keep calling the center trying to get personal information on him.

    1. Jules:

      Talk with an attorney in the community where your father lives. The authority to act, and the advisability of acting as you are considering, is very fact-dependent and will vary from state to state. If your father is competent to clearly express his own wishes, you might want to get him to an attorney (either instead or in addition to your own efforts).

      Good luck.

Stay up to date

Subscribe to our Newsletter to get our takes on some of the situations families, seniors, and individuals with disabilities find themselves in. These posts help guide you in the decision making process and point out helpful tips and nuances to take advantage of. Enter your email below to have our entries sent directly to your inbox!

Robert B. Fleming


Robert Fleming is a Fellow of both the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. He has been certified as a Specialist in Estate and Trust Law by the State Bar of Arizona‘s Board of Legal Specialization, and he is also a Certified Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. Robert has a long history of involvement in local, state and national organizations. He is most proud of his instrumental involvement in the Special Needs Alliance, the premier national organization for lawyers dealing with special needs trusts and planning.

Robert has two adult children, two young grandchildren and a wife of over fifty years. He is devoted to all of them. He is also very fond of Rosalind Franklin (his office companion corgi), and his homebound cat Muninn. He just likes people, their pets and their stories.

Elizabeth N.R. Friman


Elizabeth Noble Rollings Friman is a principal and licensed fiduciary at Fleming & Curti, PLC. Elizabeth enjoys estate planning and helping families navigate trust and probate administrations. She is passionate about the fiduciary work that she performs as a trustee, personal representative, guardian, and conservator. Elizabeth works with CPAs, financial professionals, case managers, and medical providers to tailor solutions to complex family challenges. Elizabeth is often called upon to serve as a neutral party so that families can avoid protracted legal conflict. Elizabeth relies on the expertise of her team at Fleming & Curti, and as the Firm approaches its third decade, she is proud of the culture of care and consideration that the Firm embodies. Finding workable solutions to sensitive and complex family challenges is something that Elizabeth and the Fleming & Curti team do well.

Amy F. Matheson


Amy Farrell Matheson has worked as an attorney at Fleming & Curti since 2006. A member of the Southern Arizona Estate Planning Council, she is primarily responsible for estate planning and probate matters.

Amy graduated from Wellesley College with a double major in political science and English. She is an honors graduate of Suffolk University Law School and has been admitted to practice in Arizona, Massachusetts, New York, and the District of Columbia.

Prior to joining Fleming & Curti, Amy worked for American Public Television in Boston, and with the international trade group at White & Case, LLP, in Washington, D.C.

Amy’s husband, Tom, is an astronomer at NOIRLab and the Head of Time Domain Services, whose main project is ANTARES. Sadly, this does not involve actual time travel. Amy’s twin daughters are high school students; Finn, her Irish Red and White Setter, remains a puppy at heart.

Famous people's wills

Matthew M. Mansour


Matthew is a law clerk who recently earned his law degree from the University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law. His undergraduate degree is in psychology from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Matthew has had a passion for advocacy in the Tucson community since his time as a law student representative in the Workers’ Rights Clinic. He also has worked in both the Pima County Attorney’s Office and the Pima County Public Defender’s Office. He enjoys playing basketball, caring for his cat, and listening to audiobooks narrated by the authors.